What is the Day on the Avenue?
It’s community day, but with a cooler name.
When is it?
Saturday, June 20 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
What will be going on there?
Washington Avenue will be closed to automobiles. Instead, there will be dozens of tents with food, games, raffles, crafts, a classic car cruise, and more. And there will be live music — The Bill Ali band is playing from 5 p.m to 7 p.m.
Here’s a great video from 2012’s Day on the Avenue from YouTube user ETCruzer.
How much does this cost?
It’s a free outdoor event. It costs nothing to attend.
If you mean how many of your tax dollars are being spent on this, the answer is: $0. The event is funded entirely by donations.
If you start arguing about the larger financial toll that traffic detours have on the region in terms of lost productivity, we’re going to block you from our Facebook page.
Will it rain?
Maybe. As of 5 p.m. Friday, there’s a 40% chance of rain around 1 p.m. There’s a strong chance of heavy thunderstorms around 6 p.m. This according to Weather.com. We have no idea what Stephen Cropper or Dennis Bowman are calling for. There’s a 60% chance that everybody’s forecast changes by tomorrow morning, anyway.
What will traffic be like?
On Washington Avenue, there won’t be any. The road is closed from Hickman Street to the intersection with Bower Hill Road (see map below). The road closure starts at 7 a.m. and continues until 9 p.m. Per today’s Bridgeville Police announcement, motorists should avoid the area. There will be heavy traffic and delays at the detours.